This course will introduce students to the procedures and tests used to examine and 诊断 injuries to the head, 脸, 胸部, 和颈, 胸, 和腰椎. Students will be able to identify risk factors for musculoskeletal injuries and illness and be instructed in theory and proper techniques for diagnostic and special tests, 包括韧带的, 神经系统, strength and range of motion assessment.
This course will examine the various mental health concerns of the physically active population. Case studies will assist the students through discussion of the critical decision making process to assist patients in receiving the appropriate care. 风险因素, 管理计划, 推荐, and medications related to mental health concerns will be discussed.
This course will provide an overview of the planning and implementation of therapeutic modalities used to treat injuries and illness. An introduction to the physical, 化学, and mechanical modalities will complement the students’ understanding of wound healing and their purpose in the treatment protocol. Students will gain an understanding of the human body’s physiological response to various treatment methods.
Manual Therapy and Alternative Treatments
This course will introduce students to additional therapeutic interventions that can be used with their patient population. The physiological effects of manual therapy and other alternative treatments will be discussed. The benefits and risks associated with each treatment modality will be examined.
除了圣灵女神的 研究生学费和其他费用, you will need to pay for the cost of travel to your clinical experiences, 临床的服装, 犯罪背景调查, 药物筛选, 和免疫.
Below you will find a two-year course sequence for this program.
1st Year – Summer Semester (10)
- ATP 501 Foundations in Athletic Training (3)
- ATP 503 Structural and Functional Kinesiology (3)
- ATP 504 Emergency Medical Care (4)
1st Year – Fall Semester (11)
- ATP 505 Lower Extremity Assessment (3)
- ATP 508 Therapeutic Exercise (3)
- 临床I (2)
- GEN 502: Methods of 研究 (3)
1st Year – Spring Semester (11)
- ATP 506 Upper Extremity Assessment (3)
- ATP 509 治疗模式 (3)
- ATP 513 Manual Therapy/Alternative Treatments (3)
- 临床II (2)
2nd Year – Summer Semester (12)
- ATP 507头 & 脊柱评价(3)
- ATP 510 General Medical Conditions (3)
- ATP 512 心理健康策略 (3)
- ATP 553临床III (2)*
- ATP 556 General Medical Clinical (1)
- ATP 511 Athletic Training 政府 (3)
- ATP 514 Orthopedic Procedures (3)
- ATP 554临床IV (2)
- ATP 599 Comprehensive Exam in Athletic Training (0)
2nd Year – Spring Semester (8)
- ATP 650特别话题I (3)
- ATP 555临床V (5)*
* 554 (ATP) & 555 Clinical courses are immersive experiences.
Program 任务, Goals and Learning Outcomes
The mission of the Athletic Training program at Immaculata大学 is to provide a comprehensive learning experience within the discipline of athletic training that integrates scientific inquiry, 理论知识, 和临床实践. Grounded in the mission of Immaculata大学, students will receive an education rooted in Christian core values, academic rigor and ethical integrity.
The goals of the Athletic Training program are to:
- Provide students with the knowledge, 技能, and clinical integration proficiencies essential for Board of Certification eligibility
- Prepare students for meaningful careers in athletic training
- Prepare students for the diverse and changing world of health care
- Encourage a lifelong commitment to learning and professional excellence.
Upon completion of the athletic training curriculum, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and practical 技能 in prevention and risk management of athletic injuries and illness.
- Demonstrate critical decision making and problem solving 技能 that are essential in the recognition, 评价, and management of athletic injuries and illnesses.
- Design, implement, and assess treatment, rehabilitation and reconditioning protocols.
- Exhibit ethical decision making, 行政, and leadership 技能 essential for success in the athletic training.
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communication 技能, and technological 技能 in academic and professional activities.
- Apply and synthesize evidence-based athletic training knowledge to current issues in the variety of athletic training settings.
Athletic trainers can help prevent injuries and reduce health care costs, so demand for athletic trainers is expected to increase significantly over the next decade, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Athletic trainers are also in demand because their 技能 can be employed in a variety of contexts:
校友 of Immaculata’s undergraduate athletic training program have been hired as athletic trainers at:
- Philadelphia Union Academy/YSC学院
- Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster
We accept applications for the Master of Athletic Training on a rolling basis. All cohorts begin the program in the summer semester. To apply to the Master of Athletic Training, you must meet the following criteria:
- 累计GPA 3.0以上
- 100 hours of observation with a certified athletic trainer
- Current certification in First Aid and CPR/AED
You must also have completed the following prerequisite courses with a B or above:
- 人体解剖学- 4学分
- Human Physiology – 4 credits (or 8 credits total Human Anatomy & 生理学我 & II)
- Biology – 3 credits (in addition to Human Anatomy & 生理学)
- 物理- 4学分
- Kinesiology or Structural/Functional Anatomy – 3 credits
- Exercise Physiology – 3 credits
- 营养- 3学分
- Introduction to 研究 – 3 credits
- General Psychology – 3 credits
- 统计学- 3学分
- Medical Terminology – 1-3 credits
- 6 credits from the following courses: Prevention & Care of Athletic Injuries, Biomechanics, Exercise Evaluation & Prescription, Sport Nutrition, Sport Psychology, 健康 Psychology
You must apply through the Athletic Training Centralized Application System (ATCAS) and submit:
- 完成 application form through ATCAS
- Two recommendations: ATCAS will provide electronic forms to the recommenders you list.
- Official transcript(s) from each of the undergraduate and graduate schools you have attended. Send transcripts from the college or university directly to ATCAS.
- Observation hours: You can submit verification of your 100 hours through ATCAS.
- Goals statement: Submit this statement in the supplemental application of ATCAS.
As part of the admissions process, you will interview with Immaculata’s program faculty to determine your acceptance into the program.
Program Information and Outcomes
Years to complete the program
Clinical education experiences
Grounded in IHM tradition and charism since 1920.
Find out what an IU education can do for your mind, your character and your future.